Friday, March 20, 2009

What are the chances?

Funny story.

So last night, my little brother’s apartment got robbed. When my mom told me, I immediately thought to myself…oh poor big screen TV, surround sound, Wii, Xboxes (is that how you pluralize Xbox?), video games, movies, iPods, Xunes, laptops (including a MacBook), guitars, and every other item worth money you can find in an apartment full of four male twenty somethings. When I actually called and talked to my brother about it, I found out that all that was taken was ONE of the Xboxes, a couple of Xbox games, and a really expensive guitar. Everyone, including myself, thought it must have been some stupid kid, on foot, and by himself, who probably wanted the items for his own use. Otherwise, he probably would have grabbed quite a few more items worth some money if he was planning on selling the stuff. Anyways, they reported it to the police figuring they would likely never get their stuff back.

Not to the funny part quite yet…

This morning, the only other things my brother and his room mates discovered were gone were a couple of bottles of cologne and some prescription pain killers. These things proved whoever it was had actually rifled through their stuff.

So here comes the funny part…

My brother’s room mate, the one who owned the guitar, actually spent his morning traveling around to pawn shops and gaming stores trying to see if anyone was trying to sell his guitar (worth a good amount of money) or my brother’s Xbox (which is quite a unique Xbox with a 300GB hard drive with loads of games and movies on it). Anyways, after he had spent quite a bit of time driving around with no luck, he stopped in at a pawn shop in Provo, where, lo and behold, he found the thief in the process of selling his guitar to the pawn shop!

I mean, seriously, what are the chances that he went in to the exact same pawn shop at the exact same time the guy was trying to sell it?

He went up to the kid, who was 18 years old, demanded to know where he got the guitar, told him he wasn’t going to let him leave, and called the police. The kid was stupid enough to claim that he had just found the guitar by a dumpster! The police showed up in five minutes and started questioning the kid. The kid still denied that he knew anything, but then his wonderful little girlfriend spilled the truth.

The kid ended up living in the apartment building just next to my brother’s. The cops took him home, found the rest of the stuff, and hauled his sorry ass away. He already had a criminal history and was on probation.

So, less then 24 hours later, peace and happiness was restored, and now my little brother can get back to watching all the movies he has downloaded on his Xbox.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, that is a great story. I've never been that lucky when I've had things stolen.

Jared said...

Ashley you shouldn't say ass. it's so un-ladylike

Jes said...

lol...I thought I would check your blog since its been a while... and oh Im glad I did! What a dumb ass!
Thats so awesome/pathetic!!! Made my day! :)